«  previous | home | search | about | next »

Q: Any advice on what to do when your car has been submerged in about 3 feet of Thames river water? "Richard Blake-James" richardqzblakejames.freeserve.Reply  (Ref:0122)

A: Put it back and leave it as a dive wreck. you could charge entry fee <grin>. -- Ibeflymo Reply 

Q: Shirts that bled together.  Hi, My daughter washed a brand new white shirt with a brand new maroon shirt. The white shirt is now pink. Can I soak it in anything? Please help!!!!!! Thank you -- Tim Reply  (Ref:0124)

A: Dye Leakage --New maroon shirt turned white shirt pink. I found a product called "Awesome" at the "Dollar Store". It removed the red streaks on a white shirt that I washed with a dark colored shirt. It also removes mildew, glue, gum, sap on my convertible car top, etc. It is truly AWESOME!!! -- Paula pplocharqzbellsoReply

A: Dye Leakage A product called dye magnets can stop the dye in the water tinting or fading other garments.  -- Annie Mac 

Q: Need to know how to remove lighter fluid from clothing.  My son's friend put an open bottle of lighter fluid in the trunk of his car. It saturated coats and other clothing, as well as the trunk liner. I don't have a clue on how to remove it. Thanks for any help you can give me. -- Rob Rogers Reply  (Ref:0125)

A: I have the same problem; only mine is a kerosene spill. We are using vinegar right now, it doesn't seem to help. It has been very humid and it hasn't dried thoroughly. I have heard of some products called Neu-troda by Tankit Co. and Odor-Neutralizer that may be purchased from a fuel oil dealer. I am not sure how well they work. Anybody out there have any ideas? - Beth

A: Hopefully by the time you read this the smell should have gone and the liquid evaporated 

Q: Preserving cut flowers. What can I add, other than a commercial flower preservative, to the water to make my cut flowers from the garden last longer? I am sure there is something that can be added that we all have around the house. Thanks --mccio Reply   (Ref:0133)

A: Aspirin -- www.qznaz.com

Q: Water stains on wood table. Could you please tell me how to remove the white water stains that get on wooden tables from setting glasses or hot dishes on table. Thank you -- Mackeford Reply (Ref:0134) 

There is a preparation called "Teak Oil that is good for such problems. Normally minor water staining in modern wood finishes clears up on its own after a few days -- www.qznaz.com  

Answer # 2: Those white rings on your wood table can be buffed out with a little toothpaste on a damp rag. --  Howard Douglas L Contr WRALC/TIL   19 Jul 2002 

Q: Removing limestone stains. I would be most grateful if you could advise me on removing limestone marks from 1) the taps under the shower, and 2) from granite marble around and behind the tap in the bathroom (the marble has taken on a whitish layer). Thank you so much in advance. Yours sincerely, "Gillian Oren" Reply (Ref:0135)


A: Are you trying to clean ceramic tile or fibreglass shower? Are you dealing with soap scum, hard water deposits or mildew/mould? A 50/50 mixture of household bleach and water should be fine for ceramic tile. Never mix bleach with other cleaning agents as it can create a very toxic combination. A very cheap and mild abrasive is Arm & Hammer Baking SODA (not baking powder). Mix some into a bowl and add enough water to make a paste. Dawn dishwashing soap is very good at cleaning all kinds of greasy or oily surfaces. White vinegar (less than $4 per gallon is another good cleaner due to its acid content. Dilute with water in a spray bottle. -- Anon 

Old vinyl records. Has anyone got a method of "un-warping" vinyl recordings (other than placing between heavy books and waiting several months)? --Douglas M Kenyon, Reply  (Ref:0137)

A: Sandwich the record between 2 pieces of glass and bake in about 200 degree oven for a 1/2 hour or so. Let cool under heavy weight. Have heard mixed results. 

I have found that due to the raised center of the record where the label is, the record will not become perfect flat again. You may get the record so it will play without the cartridge bottoming out, yet the it will still be wavy to some degree. 

Another point... If the warp was caused by heat damage, and the edge gets a curved lip, you have to check the grooves at the beginning of the record. 

They can become deformed and nothing will get them back to their original state. Heat damaged records are trash, unless the warp did not affect the grooves. 

Compression warp is a different story, and I would not let it bake out in the sun. Some records get bowed. If it is not serious they will still play. 

Yet you can attempt to reverse the bow in the record by placing it carefully between two books, parted so that the label can be seen on the bottom and the top. Then add a little weight to the top. Allow the record to bend so that the bottom is not lowered in the opposite direction. This will take a long time. Perhaps check it after a week. See if the record is becoming flat. Vinyl is durable, very flexible. Styrene is harder and more brittle. 

If Styrene becomes warped, is most likely to be heat warp. They don't get warped easily from compression. They would crack before they bend to far. So warped Styrene is practically useless to attempt to fix. 

Tim (Back-Trac Records) Owner of Back-Trac Records (815) 965-2008 
Store location Rockford, IL If you use any of these hint you take responsibility for any results that you receive. Submitted by Joshua Frattarola

«  previous | home | search | about | next »